Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Noisy(ish) femme pop week (part three): The Fizzbombs


Two from the Surfin' Winter EP. I remember buying this at a little record shop in Romford, the same place I got the Vaselines "Dying for It" 12" (and the Sewer Zombies album, come to that). I used to make long(ish) journeys from Grays in search of vinyl, then queue at the bus stop with my records tucked under my arm afterwards, flushed with success and getting increasingly soggy (my memory has overlaid a veil of drizzle over all my record-hunting expeditions, although I'm prepared to entertain the possibility that it may not have rained every single time).

Record shops seemed like arcane and wonderful places then, and required some legwork to find. I was just discovering that there were delights beyond the scope of Woolworths music section; sometimes Woolies would surprise me, though, and a Mary Chain single would appear amidst the usual chart fodder, like some migratory bird with glossy black plumage newly arrived from stranger climes.

Anyway. The Fizzbombs. Various members of Jesse Garon and the Desperadoes were involved, though I couldn't have told you that at the time: I probably bought it based on the cover and song titles. I lucked out; sometimes I think it's my favourite EP ever. "Test Pilot" is one of the few songs to feature my name (though more for the sake of lyrical expedience than any inherent glamour, I think: not many male names rhyme with "day").

The Fizzbombs - Beach Party
The Fizzbombs - Test Pilot

No comments: